1.06.2015

Good Reads: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

The first book that I chose to tackle this year was one that my sweet husband has been begging me to read for the past year or so.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman



This book in particular has a special story as to HOW it came into our house. Neil Gaiman is one of my husbands favorite authors and a good friend from Portland might have purchased the book and then stood in line just so that it could be autographed with a special message and under the tree for Christmas day. He's a really good friend. 

So, who is this book written for? 

Everyone. I don't care who you are. This is a beautifully written story about a young boy growing up in the English countryside. The darker themes that present themselves are beautifully interwoven with light moments of whimsy - it calls us back to the days of reading childhood fairy tales... 

...But the real fairy tales that didn't involve musical interludes or happy endings. This is the stuff of great stories that leaves us pondering and thinking and questioning. I can't promise you will leave with a song stuck in your head or warm fuzzy feelings, but you will leave feeling touched, affected, moved. 

It's a really great story. 

Practically, it's a super quick read. So, you can totally knock in out in a day or two (just reading after having putting the kids to bed). 

So, what books have you fell for lately? What should I read this year? Give me your thoughts!





No comments:

Post a Comment