5.19.2008

A Weekend of Mourning & Loss

This past weekend was eventful. All of it good and as it should be, but hard none the less.

My dear husband traveled 20-some odd hours north of here to start his internship at a firm for the 12 weeks of his summer break between his 2nd and 3rd years of law school. I will be following him shortly - but shortly still consists of 6 long weeks and I miss him. He took our two wonderful dogs to keep him company and for the sake of ease and practicality when I sojourn to be with him. So, there I was on Friday evening...just me and the ferrets.

We have been looking for a new home for our ferrets for sometime. Not because we don't love them, but because we do love them so much. The past year has been very hectic and it took husband and me a lot of thought and reflection to realize our two beautiful ferrety boys were getting the short end of the stick. So, Sunday I drove a few hours away with my mischievous little ones and introduced them to their new momma. It shouldn't have been hard, but it was. We had played all morning and even in the car. The were playing a new game they invented called, "let's crawl in between mom's feet while she's driving and see how long it taked her to pick us up, cuddle us, and return us to our place."

Their new momma is wonderful, I'm sure. I can't help but feel a huge loss - as we raised those little weasels from the time they were 2 months old. I carried Sirius around in the pocket of a sweatshirt and he would fall asleep. I remember when Severus would dare to climb over new barriers and get stuck in new places. I still look at the place where there cage stood and expect to see their sweet faces. It's been a hard week, but I know the ferrets are in a home where they will receive ample attention without a puppy always trying to stalk them.

I didn't really realize how much I would miss my husband, my dogs, and my ferrets. It is an overwhelming experience when you see all who make up your family drive off into the unknown and you are left to return to an empty house. But, it gives one time to reflect upon God's goodness and blessings.

I'm so blessed to have my little family and I'm so blessed to have found a wonderful home for my little ferrets. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment